Happy almost fall everyone. I love the fall season… September is our month to focus on self-care. I’m so excited for our first Mindfulness in the Mountains Retreat this September! The inspiration for starting a Mindful Wellness Retreat came from my desire to take people out of the stress and strain of daily life to be away from technology, responsibilities, and to listen more fully to ourselves.
I have had many clients tell me that “self-care” seems so “selfish” because it means taking time away from family, work and other responsibilities.
We tend to feel overwhelmed by the demands on us and neglect ourselves when we need the help the most. It’s not just nice it’s necessary for your health!
Do you remember the story of the “The Goose and The Golden Egg?”
“There was once a Countryman who possessed the most wonderful Goose you can imagine, for every day when he visited the nest, the Goose had laid a beautiful, glittering, golden egg.
The Countryman took the eggs to market and soon began to get rich. But it was not long before he grew impatient with the Goose because she gave him only a single golden egg a day. He was not getting rich fast enough.
Then one day, after he had finished counting his money, the idea came to him that he could get all the golden eggs at once by killing the Goose and cutting it open. But when the deed was done, not a single golden egg did he find, and his precious Goose was dead.” (mythfolklore.net)
So, the moral of the story? Don’t kill the goose. Yes, I am saying you are the “Goose.” ;) You are the glue that holds your family together, the motor in your business, the heart of your home, the connector of your friends, and the taxi driver for your kids, and hopefully a friend to yourself.
Your needs matter and like you’ve been told by many a flight attendant, "put on your own oxygen mask FIRST before putting it on others." If you don’t you die. You get the point.
Self-Care Tips to Try:
1. Take time to connect face to face with people. In this digital age it is rare for people to sit across the table from each other and talk. Ditch the cell phones and connect with those you love.
2. Make time to move. Whether it's walking, a game of tennis, yoga, or gardening take some time each day to move your body and release stress.
3. Be present where you are. Be mindful of where you are when in new surroundings take in the sights, smells, sound, and tastes of the new experience. Whether it be a new restaurant, hiking trail, or a new vacation spot. Breathe it all in using your 5 senses
4. Release what’s bothering you by journaling your thoughts and feelings without censoring them
5. Practice daily a few moments of stillness. Find time to just sit for 5-10 min just being focusing on your breathe and letting go of expectations.
Do something FUN! Have you noticed when you do something you love, you are in a flow of positive energy? Find one fun thing to look forward daily.